Glorification Of Passion

3 mins read

I have regularly been intrigued by things that people are passionate about. It could be travel, photography, art, or something quite eccentric.


Often times, I have dwelled on the extent to which people should project, showcase, dramatize or even monetize their passion(s).


I feel there should be a certain way we deal with our passions. We should take it easy and not get carried away by influencer-speak. At the same time, I do acknowledge that this is easier said than done. Let’s explore this, shall we?


Oh Passion, my passion!


Passion can be many things. 


Simply put, passion is a powerful desire for an activity, an object, or a concept. Passion motivates and inspires you to take action. 


I'm a passionate person. I passion-hop (I might have just invented the term, Sahil ™)! It's natural for me to be passionate about multiple things at once and to pursue these. Most people I know have passion-hopped throughout their lives.


Almost everywhere - online as well as offline - you may have read messages like these:


  • "Free yourself from conformity. Listen to your inner voice."


  • "Unchain yourself. Follow the road that's less travelled."


  • "Quit your job today! Follow your passion in life."


While these could be worth a try and I, myself, have thought about a career in mountaineering, what worries me is that it has unreasonably demonized the regular 9-to-5 corporate job.


Most of us want to look for a way out, while never losing sight of that pot of gold. If you think about it - In our minds, there's a painted version of ourselves in the future, and that version is happier, more satisfied, and more successful. 


How remarkable that happiness and success seem to always lie in the future.


Questioning why such a dreamy notion takes seed, an interesting picture emerges.


The narrative


Lately, social media Influencers and film stars have built a narrative that suggests that we should follow our passion and completely devote ourselves to it while we can.


Many people agree with them, but the idea of quitting your present pursuit as a solution, so that you can follow your passion, can be puzzling.


This narrative does two things really conveniently :


  • It overlooks the fact that one does not need to convert one's passion into a job to follow it


  • It essentially assumes that we understand our passions sufficiently enough to pursue them over a given period, say a few years


The funny thing about passions is that they can be temporary, fleeting, transient - they change with time and circumstances. Think of what you were passionate about over the last 5 years, and the 5 years before that. You'll see what I mean.


Musing about a passion without discipline and a game plan can be a recipe for disaster.


Is there a passion-pandemic?


We have an entire generation believing that their true calling is out there to find them. This generation feels they are stuck in their present jobs.

This is an extreme glorification of passion!!


As for me, I love to travel and I'd prefer to do that all the time.  Although, after two weeks of travel, I crave the calm and peace of my home. I yearn for the stability of my job. 


When I work hard, I enjoy the vacations even more as it seems like a release. To truly appreciate something, you need distance and a certain level of withdrawal.


In my opinion, over-indulgences rarely lead to anything fruitful in life.


The sweet spot!


I firmly believe there is a sweet spot. 


I don't mean to discourage someone from following their passion or critique the narrative of the influencer-speak. 


I mean to highlight that whether you want to follow a passion or not, it is strictly based on how you wish to live your life. 


Identify the steps to build that life. With the right input and the correct questions in mind, you will discover your path. Build a strong sense of self-awareness and unwavering discipline. While passion and inspiration may be sparks, discipline is your fuel.


My recommendation would be to optimize your inputs, instead of the output. Good work ethic with a desire to learn, great time management skills, having a growth mindset - these inputs will always help you succeed.  Doing these will surely help you find your way without glorifying your passions.


Once you've set your target on a passion you wish to wholeheartedly pursue, go all-in. There is no folding in real life. :)


Here's a photo of me following one of my passions (At the Everest Base Camp on 4th May 2017):













Next Article: Habit Formation
Peace!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A FEW PRICELESS ENCOUNTERS

AND THAT MADE ALL THE DIFFERENCE

DAYS SINCE MIGRATION