UNSOLVED




Unsolved is that math problem from ten years ago
That geometry problem with triangles of torment and angles of anguish

I tried this formula and that random trick I’d learnt
Tallying those equations and reaching a dead-end every time

The problem remained unsolved for days at a stretch
Until I gave up on it and forgot about it completely

I found other easier problems to solve meanwhile
Pleasing myself, inflating my ego, giving me a solver’s afterglow

I solved many a problem over the years hence
Not all mathematical - some matters of the mind, some problems of the heart

But one fine day I encountered what looked like a similar problem
Those same triangles of torment, those same angles of anguish

My hands trembled with an eerie sense of familiarity – it was the same problem
It seem like I’d seen a long lost love, that I knew so much yet nothing about

I picked up the pen as I did resolve and gave it what would be my one last try
To my utter surprise, I was able to solve the problem without a sweat

It wasn’t the problem itself but the time, circumstances and my own self
That contributed to the question remaining unsolved for so long

Not all problems can be solved within the present times, try as we may
Some need more time by virtue of their inherent complexity

Some need better circumstances by virtue of their situation,
While some – just a better version of myself who’s reflected infinitely

With this epiphany, I glowed from ear to ear and proceeded to bigger problems,
Like was it really my turn again to wash the utensils and mop the floor today?


Comments

Anonymous said…
Wow! so deep. I went in another zone while reading it.
Ramya said…
Beautiful Sahil! Simple yet so profound.
Sahil Kaul said…
@Anonymous - Thank you. That's the best kind of compliment when you can transport your reader into a different mental space, one that is shared by both the writer and the reader. :)
@Ramya - The beauty of an idea lies in its simplicity, doens't it? :)
Anonymous said…
Well! Great minds think alike ;)

Popular posts from this blog

A FEW PRICELESS ENCOUNTERS

AND THAT MADE ALL THE DIFFERENCE

DAYS SINCE MIGRATION