HOW TO NOT BE BUSIER THAN YOUR NEIGHBOURHOOD CAT 101

(5 minutes read)

With over 6 months to the last post and 2.5 years to the last article, I’m making a habit of spacing out  writing. Spacing out writing gives you large pockets of time to think about anything under the sun. The result, often, is a mature point of view after covering multiple perspective or sometimes just a bag of crap. I hope I avoid the fate of the latter option.

So, I read this article recently on how busy life is getting and how we’re over-burdened to the point of exhaustion (Link here). As a closet workaholic whose reaction to organized chaos is delight on most occasions, I tend to agree that we’ve driven ourselves away from the basics and towards the idea of success/achievement at alarming Usain Bolt speeds. To justify my expensive MBA degree, I have explored this issue using a framework which can otherwise be communicated in a simpler manner. The list below is not exhaustive and possibly not a compilation of the most logically sanitized arguments. Having said that you’re free to challenge me and free to critique my reasoning (In your mind).

Question 1: Are we really busy in the first place?

Situation: Someone is talking and I have conveniently zoned out. I am thinking of biryani, of that pretty girl from work, of how Steve Smith could have potentially ended his glorious career. I nod as I generally do when I talk to people. I interrupt the person, recalling that I have something important to do (watch the latest GOT episode) and I leave. This brings me to the associated myth for this situation.

Myth: Pseudo achievement concept - The best time to do something important is right now so why not do it and finish it off.

Reality
: Not everything you do is urgent(Irrespective of importance). Taking time to introduce a life-saving matrix here: I was introduced to this matrix years ago to help me in times of distress. It has helped me make critical decisions like choosing between work and strategic sick leaves.





Recommendation: Looking at the above matrix, some non-urgent things can be pushed to a later time while some can be delegated/outsourced. While pseudo productivity will trick your brain into thinking you’re achieving something, you’re really better off scheduling and planning. Something like wearing a batman costume to office may be important but not urgent while responding to your manager's mail may be urgent but not important. I agree that it's a complex world and not everything is black & white. The idea is to improve decision making, not overhaul it. Trust priorities, choose your battles smartly and fight them well. Don't be Oberyn Martell.

Question 2: What is causing this lack of time in life?

Situation: I am working in office on an important project. It’s my dog’s birthday. The aforementioned entity is expecting a video call, a call at the very least. I am so busy with work and calls that I lose track of time and I forget there was a birthday. I realize much later that I’ve missed an important event. Now, I’m frustrated, sad and still overworked. I carry this guilt with me and it causes dissatisfaction. My dog is not talking to me anymore. Add up enough such events and I blame the government, my job and the Bengaluru traffic(in that order). You can put yourselves in my shoes and replace birthday with any other important event.

Myth: I just don’t have the time/ My job is the reason for all my problems.

Reality: You are just facing a bad resource allocation problem.

Recommendation: Simply put, you sow shit, you reap crap. The first and foremost thing to do is to stop, relax and, reflect for some time. See where you spend most of your time - whether it is binge watching Saas bhi Kabhi Bahu thi or gossiping with your neighbourhood uncle. Use this Excel below to identify how much time you use on a daily basis on certain activities. 


This is just a basic excel I created on the go. Try to bunch activities and limit yourself to 8 broad activities(No, facebook debates cannot be included). Following a Lean mindset, identify the Value adding and Non-Value adding activities. Retain activities that you think you need(Non-value activities are important too, in moderation) and eliminate inefficiencies. You're smart. You'll do it. Piece of cake.


Question 3: We are busy but we aren’t satisfied. Why is being extremely busy linked to dissatisfaction so closely?

Situation 2
: I’m sitting at home, watching a movie/sitcom while I chomp on rice without a care about carbs(It's a part of growing up and giving up on your stomach fat). I get a call from home. I start talking and I’m edging to get away to my movie/sitcom. With all the self-awareness, I understand in my mind that this is wrong. I wrap up the call within 5 minutes and resume my movie knowing at the back of my head that I'd have made the best son list at number 123342, 15 positions behind a drunk Shah Rukh Khan from Devdas.

Myth: I just don’t have much time to interact with friends and family.

Reality: This again is a subset resource allocation issue. You’re draining time on the wrong activities.

Recommendation: I’ve come to observe that 3 apps on my phone consume the most of my time. They are: Google Chrome (For Fb/Articles), Instagram and Zynga Poker. These apps assit me in my relentless pursuit and mastery of procrastination. Work, sleep, food habits, and daily interactions have all been made to revolve around these apps. I have also noted that whenever I travel and stay away from these apps for some time, I suddenly find so much time that I end up reading Chetan Bhagat novels and watching Jaani Dushman for the (n+1)th time (n tends to infinity).

I have no great suggestions here. Point blank - recognize the elephant in the room, make peace with the fact that the elephant is here to plunder your peace but make yourself in charge of how much time you give the elephant to shit on your daily plans.

I’m not pointing out anything path-breaking here. I’m only consolidating all that we already know about the issue and perhaps a way to tackle it in an organized manner. Take a break, reflect and I’m sure that you will find out things that you can alter which will make your life more productive with a very high “Life” Index.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GYAN Section - Read at Will


I thought of a preachy list of things I have learnt over the years. This list of activities has helped me keep myself at peace for most parts and follow the things I love with all my heart:

  1. Discipline vs. Inspiration: Disciplined dedicated hours help and proper time/resource allocation makes it even better. Stopping kidding yourself and running on only inspiration as fuel. If the hours ain’t there, it ain’t happening.
  2. Hobby Cycle: Maximize time on things that make you tick – If your job is not something you are very happy about and you love to run behind dogs, reserve a time to do so. If you don’t do things that give you confidence, you bottle yourself up and set yourself up for misery.
  3. The pursuit of Happiness: Success is self-defined, satisfaction is a state of such accumulated successes and happiness is a state of such accumulated bits of satisfaction. The core is what you define as your metrics for success. Mess that up and you're a cribber for life.
  4. Invest in Experiences: Spending time with family/friends is always a good idea; taking road trips to places, traveling far and wide is perhaps one of the better educators; investing time in self-improvment also goes a long way. Don’t indulge in experiences at the expense of other important things. Make time before your time meets you.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A flipside argument to following a “non-busy” approach is that it might breed mediocrity and lead to complacency in life. But the biggest assumption within that premise is based on the idea of productivity. I’m willing to believe that if you’re highly productive in your hours at work, you can take long breaks and vacations, and still shine your way through appraisals(I'm kidding, your leadership should like you).

I understand that I've been extremely ideal here but idealism is difficult unless you're Rahul Dravid. Piecemeal improvements are the way to go here. Even if there is one element within this article that you can adopt and improve upon, it would make me extremely glad and constitute a success in my self-defined success framework. And haven't we all learnt now that it would make me happy eventually?

If the line above made no sense, please re-read the article again, but we all know ain't nobody got time for that! :P

Do write to me in case of any feedback/queries on the article at sahilkaul1991@gmail.com

Keep hustling! 

Peace. J

Comments

Unknown said…
An interesting article, a direction to explore self and identify what we give our time to. Can connect to you thoughts here.

A further discussion: wouldn't you become a slave to the calendar that you create from these practices. I.e How to balance between the inspiration and the discipline?
Sahil Kaul said…
Interesting question there, Srikanth. In my opinion, we are at one end of the spectrum (closer to the unorganized edge). The idea is to get closer to the organized edge. The other end would probably entail becoming a slave to your calendar and not doing anything out of the blue, very machine-like.

By enforcing the use of a calendar/fancy excels, the idea is to make these decisions intuitive in the longer run. Once you realize you waste time on a certain activity, the activity should be minimized or ideally eliminated.

Also, as long as there is a healthy mix of Value Adding/Non-Value adding activities, I feel that you would not be a slave to your calendar. That's where the relaxation of NVAs help. I can't be adding value in every activity I do. That would make me a machine and aren't machine slaves to their calendars? :)
Sahil Kaul said…
I missed out the discipline vs. Inspiration debate. I rank discipline above Inspiration overall but they are two different beasts. Inspiration is important on the edges while discipline forms the internal core. I might be inspired to take up a sport. Discipline will help me hone my craft and eventually, I'd be inspired on the day of a game and perform to my potential(supplemented by my discipline).

Inspiration is the spark, discipline is the fuel. The problem is we take inspiration as a pseudo for discipline and that is possibly the reason for failed personal projects, pursued hobbies, targets/goals.

And discipline comes with effective scheduling/resource allocation.
Ankur Gupta said…
This article was really very interesting and helpful.
Anonymous said…
Loved the article! Shall try to maintain a calendar for a week or two and see if I can change the grey areas in the pattern. Though I secretly know I have a lot of grey area out there and want to stay in "ignorance is bliss" state intentionally - may be for a while :)

Popular posts from this blog

A FEW PRICELESS ENCOUNTERS

AND THAT MADE ALL THE DIFFERENCE

DAYS SINCE MIGRATION